This is the quintessential butter/sugar cookie recipe, a must make for the holiday season!
- 1 c. unsalted butter
- 1 c. granulated white sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 c. flour
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cream butter and sugar until smooth, at least 3 minutes.
- Beat in extract and egg.
- In a separate bowl combine baking powder with flour and add a little at a time to the butter mixture. The dough will be very stiff. If it becomes too stiff for your mixer turn out the dough onto a countertop surface. Wet your hands and finish off kneading the dough by hand.
- DO NOT CHILL THE DOUGH. Divide into workable batches, roll out onto a floured surface and cut. You want these cookies to be on the thicker side (closer to 1/4 inch rather than 1/8).
- Bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes. Let cool on the cookie sheet until firm enough to transfer to a cooling rack.